Wednesday, March 09, 2005

School of rock

I never thought I'd quote Who magazine twice in a week. But I can't resist putting in the following little item.

Scott Weiland is a rock musician, and formerly a junkie. However, following a drugs programme he's tried to get himself together. He now says of his experiences:

I didn't know who I was. I wasn't a man, that's for sure, but I wanted to become a man ...

Now, for the first time ever, I'm a man and I can look at myself in the mirror and say, "Know what? I like who I am."

I'm not satisfied completely, like "Yep, I've arrived," although I am a man and I can man-up and be accountable. I'm accountable for my wife and my kids and that's financially, physically, emotionally, spiritually - in every way.


I find this interesting. Liberals want us to act against our inherited sex and to become less masculine in order to be free of our biological destiny.

But in doing this we're likely to end up like Scott Weiland once was, and to feel inadequte in our own self-identity. What we need to do, and what society ought to encourage men to do, is to deepen our own sense of masculinity, until we reach the point where we really can say that "I like who I am".

Liberalism only delays and confuses this process, by encouraging the exact opposite.

No comments:

Post a Comment